Monday, March 21, 2016

California Adventure

My first time traveling to the West Coast surely was a memorable one. 

I met my dad's paternal side of the family for the first time which was an incredible experience. So many people it was hard to keep up -- uncles, 2nd uncles, 2nd cousins, 3rd cousins, aunts, 2nd cousin's in law. [jeez] But I loved every single one of them and can't wait to be reunited again!


After our big family reunion, we loaded up the cars and took a trip to Original Tommy's Hamburgers, known for chili burgers. Not gonna lie, they were some pretty bomb burgers. 

The next day we took a trip to Olvera Street, the oldest part of Downtown Los Angeles. [aka El Pueblo de Los Angeles] [But I like to call it, Little Mexico]. It was definitely one of my favorite parts of the trip. We had an authentic Mexican breakfast at La Luz de Dia restaurant, where I had two carnitas tacos, refried beans, rice, and guacamole and chips. [BEST TORTILLAS EVER] The street of Little Mexico had vendors all up and down -- selling authentic Mexican EVERYTHING, pottery, bags, candy, dresses, ponchos and sombreros. I even got myself a little guitar to start up my mariachi band. We heard live music, had great food, and ended up trip to El Pueblo with a cheesy family picture.


Next we took a quick detour to take a look at the Griffith Observatory [where I was not impressed] but took a mediocre picture of me and the Hollywood sign.


After [lots of begging] we finally gathered up the group and made our way to Hollywood Blvd. which reminded us so much of Manhattan, we were practically obligated to getting some New York styled pizza. [oh yeahhh] I saw some funky little characters walking up the streets and gazed in awe at some of the celebrity stars, my personal favorite being, Sir Elton John [and my soon to be boss, DCP SHOUT OUT, Mickey Mouse] 

We then drove thru Rodeo Dr. and reached the absolutely gorgeous beaches of Santa Monica Pier, where I fell completely in love with California and caught the sunset [which made for some epic pictures]. Although it was freezing and I didn't go on any rides on the pier, I still enjoyed the view as we walked around. I got to see a sea lion in the water and my dad even bought me a cotton candy! [Thanks, Pa] 


On Day 3, we took a mini-roadtrip to Malibu beach were we saw some incredible mountains and not so much beach [thanks fog] But on our way there we passed some really impressive strawberry fields and some EXTREMELY hardworking Mexicans [SHOUT OUT TO MY FELLOW LATINOS #BernieSanders2016] We even passed by a little fruit stand and bought some! Look, how gorgeous!


After coming back from Malibu, we met up with the rest of our extended family in Guadalajara Grill [clearly, we love Mexican food] we heard some mariachis and my grandma couldn't have been any happier. 

On our last day in Cali, we packed our things in our rental van, checked out of our room, and took a trip to the San Pedro Seafood Market. Although it was packed with people all over the place, we somehow found outdoor tables for the 10 of us. We made a super long line but at the end of it all we had our huge shrimp platter, dozen oysters [mostly for me], beers and horchata, and my 2nd uncle even bought us each our own [big ass] crab. It was awesome. 

Finally, we drove back to my great grandma's house to have everyone meet up so we could say our last goodbye's [for now]. Overall, it was an amazing experience to travel and see new places but most importantly, to meet my family who I adore so dearly!

Till next time, y'all!

xoxo.

Love, Ash.

No comments:

Post a Comment