Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Why I Left DCP

How time flies!

It's been three months since my last blog post and a lot has happened since then. 


I moved to Orlando to work for the Disney College Program in June. Throughout this time, I faced many challenges -- homesickness, roommate situations, work anxiety, and tight budgeting. Turned out working for the mouse wasn't all that it was worked up to be... This is what I feared most.

My first week was fun and games for my roommates and I. Whether we were running through the aisles of Walmart filling our grocery carts or Park Hopping, it seemed like we had were living the dream. 










I even got place at my DREAM job as a Bellhop at The Twilight Zone's Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios. What more could I have asked for, right?
Until I became overwhelmed with learning all the legalities, mechanics and even languages that went with this position...
'Twas the first time I ever heard of the phonetic alphabet [alpha.bravo.charlie.delta.echo.foxtrot.]
On my very first day of training, I had a passed out guest on one of my unload vehicles, I saw two VIP (celebrities I don't know) groups, and had to an e-vac (emergency evacuation) on the Fifth Dimension when for some reason the ride stopped... I had one heck of a first day which led to my anxiety and insomnia. Not to mention, there was a really creepy doll in the Tower that haunted my dreams... [Hi, Caesar.] 
Thankfully I had amazing coworkers that helped me feel at ease and eventually my work anxiety vanished and I had actually enjoyed my time as a bellhop. 
Though my homesickness never quite left. On my days off, I'd take the 3 hour road trip to Miami to see my family or vice versa.


Now here's why I left:

After careful consideration and a 10 minute conversation with my mom via phone -- I made my decision. 
I called her after finding out that one of my fellow CP's had self-termed. I expressed my feelings to my mom about my overall unhappiness and not being able to adapt to Orlando/Disney lifestyle.
1. I really really missed my family and pets.
2. Sharing a dorm with 5 other people is just as difficult as you'd expect.
3. Realistically, majority of the interns in the Disney College Program are either (ONE) completely obsessed, head over heels, about Disney and anything associated with the Walt Disney Company, (TWO) come from small rural towns where them coming to live in Florida is a dream come true, (THREE) are majoring in hospitality, animation, theme park management or something among those lines, or (ALL OF THE ABOVE) 
I, however, am not as Disney obsessed as I once thought. I come from a big city like Miami where going to Orlando seems like there really isn't much to do. And I'm an education major, I want to be a teacher and I had better work opportunities here in Miami that I'm not sure were going to be waiting for me to come back. 

Ultimately, I made my decision based on finances. Working 35-40 hours a week for $9.50 an hour (minus the 101 dollars I had a pay weekly for rent) was really starting to take a toll on my heart and soul and more importantly, my bank account. 

So with that, I decided to break the news to my roomies and packed up my stuff. 

"Hasta La Vista (Way), Baby!"

Since having been back in Miami, I've been in contact with three different schools about substitute teaching. Interviewed and got my old job back at an After School Program. (So I'll be working full-time). I even received a message from one of my old babysitting gigs to make some side money. And I'm currently working at another of my old jobs until school starts. 
Word to the wise: always leave a job in good terms, you'll never know what may happen. 

I am very grateful to have been given the opportunity to work for the Disney Company -- yet, I feel incredibly BLESSED about making the decision to move back home.

"For He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways." Psalm 91:11

xoxo. 


Love, Ash.

No comments:

Post a Comment